Last Updated on December 7, 2020 by Gas Grill Buy
Almost everyone loves grilled chicken. Chicken is an easy to find, inexpensive, delicious food and is one of the most commonly grilled ingredients. But it’s a shame that people often grill it in the wrong way so that they get grilled chicken that is still undercooked or even burnt and loses its juice.
If you are one of those people who struggle to grill chicken, then you need to finish reading this post.
The way to cook chicken on a gas grill without making it burnt is you have to choose good quality chicken, pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper towel, leave it at room temperature for a while, then grill it about 5 minutes each side with medium temperature. Avoid smearing the chicken with sauces that contain sugar as it will burn it.
Cook Chicken on Gas Grill Explained Step by Step
- The first thing, you must choose good quality chicken. I prefer boneless skinless chicken. Because bone-in chicken will take longer to cook. So if you grill for a hungry crowd you will avoid the bone-in chicken option.
- While the skin on the grilled chicken will not be as crispy as if you were using the oven or frying it. Also, chicken with skin will also cause flare ups because the burnt fatty chicken skin will drip onto the grill surface. You will get varying results with chickens with skin because flare ups will vary and be unpredictable, more difficult to manage.
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper towel. If you want to marinate the chicken, you should avoid ingredients that contain sugar as they will burn the chicken. You can marinate with olive oil, spices, lemons etc. It’s best to marinate the chicken overnight to let the spices soak in. Remove the chicken from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a while before grilling.
- Grease the cooking surface of the gas grill with oil spray before grilling to prevent the chicken from sticking to the cooking surface.
- One trick to remember about grilling is that you need to remember which order of chicken you put on the grill first. You can remember them more easily by putting them in a clockwise order or vice versa rather than placing them randomly. So you will be able to know which one you need to flip first instead of flipping it randomly which will create chaos.
- After placing the chicken on the gas grill surface, close the gas grill lid for 5 minutes. Prepare the tongs to quickly flip your chicken.
- Now, you can smear the chicken with sauces that contain sugar such as oyster sauce, soy sauce or whatever is your favorite. It won’t burn because it won’t take long for us to cook it. Give the chicken a little flip then you can close the lid again for about 2 till 5 minutes depend on the thickness of the chicken. It will caramelized the sauce on the chicken.
- The chicken should be cooked and ready to be removed from the surface of the gas grill. You’ll have the perfect, glazed and shiny, flavorful, and juicy grilled chicken. However, you want to make sure that the chicken is done properly. You can measure the temperature in a chicken with an instant-read thermometer to check the chicken internal temperature (157-160 degrees)
How Long to Cook Chicken Breast on Gas Grill
Boneless chicken breast needs to be cooked for about five to eight minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the chicken breast pieces. Use a medium-high heat of about 425 degrees F. Once cooked, you want to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 157-160 degrees. Check with instant-read food thermometer. If the chicken is below this temperature, it is still undercooked.
How to Grill Bone-In Chicken on a Gas Grill
As we said above, we prefer to grill boneless chicken. But if you want to grill bone-in chicken, of course this is a challenge. You want the inside to cook without charring the outside. The trick is to cook it slowly.
Usually the bone-in chicken pieces tend to be thick so you need to cook longer so that the inside is cooked too. At first you can grill the chicken with direct heat so that when the skin is brown, you can lower the gas grill temperature or cook it using the indirect heat method. Close the lid so the temperature will be more stable. If your gas grill has a built-in thermometer, keep it at 325 F.
The important thing is that the internal temperature of the chicken must reach 165 F to be safe for consumption. How long it takes to cook depends on the size of the chicken being cooked. For example, for large and bone-in chicken breasts for 40 to 45 minutes using the indirect heat method. Check the internal temperature of the chicken thighs after 20 to 30 minutes.
What Temp To Grill Chicken On Gas Grill
For boneless, skinless chicken pieces, cook over medium-high heat at 425 degrees F for 5-7 minutes on each side until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 157-165 degrees F.
As for the bone-in chicken breast and a bit thick pieces, cook on low heat at 325 degrees F for 40-45 minutes and for the bone-in thighs cuts for 20-25 minutes. Cook until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 157-165 degrees F.
Do You Put Bbq Sauce on Chicken Before Grilling
Don’t put bbq sauce on the chicken before grilling because bbq sauce that contains sugar will cause the chicken to burn. Cook the chicken first on one side. Then after that you can put bbq sauce on the chicken. Cook it briefly and you will have the perfect grilled chicken.
How Do You Keep Bbq Chicken Moist
To keep the grilled chicken moist, the key is in marinating the chicken with spices mixed with oil. I use olive oil. You can use any oil according to your taste. The oil will lock the juices inside the chicken.
Soak the chicken in the marination for at least 8 hours in the fridge to allow the spices to infuse. Do not use ingredients that contain sugar such as soy sauce or honey, as this will burn the grilled chicken.
Don’t overcook the chicken. Although there are concerns that the chicken will be undercooked, overcooking it is not the solution. Use the internal thermometer to check. When the internal temperature is about 165 degrees, then it’s cooked.
Make sure that the chicken is fresh. This will also affect the quality of the cooking results.
Do You Close The Grill When Cooking Chicken
Yes, you need to close the gas grill cover while grilling the chicken. After you put the chicken on the grill surface, close the gas grill lid for about 5 minutes (for boneless chicken), then flip the chicken and apply the sauce. Close the gas grill lid again for 2-5 minutes. As for bone-in chicken it will take longer.